CASL

Connecticut Association of School Librarians

Several CASL listserv members have expressed the need for sharing SLOs that work well and are measurable rather than reinventing the wheel. Let's share here. We can all learn from and support each other.

Views: 2160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea of sharing SLO ideas here.  

Susan,  I am in a similar school structure.  I love your goals.  Would you be willing to share your assessments pre and post.  Judy Gafney,

I work at a school that covers students in grades prek through 8th grade. Our district has beeing using the TEVAL system for a couple of years.  Last year, I chose three student learning goals for my TEVAL:

• Kindergarten: 95% of all students will be able to distinguish the difference between literature and informational text by different measures (text features, text description and location in library). My baseline data was 0% of students could do this. I developed the pre and post assessments for this and worked collaboratively with classroom teachers.

• 4th Grade: 85% of all students will write a high quality book review and post it on the school OPAC. My pre and post assessments on the action were straight forward. By baseline data was that none of these students had acheived the goal (written a book review or post one).  I created and used a rubric for the "high quality" measurement. This was also done collaboratively with classroom teachers.

• 8th Grade: 85% of students will score proficient or higher on the Kent State T.R.A.I.L.S. 9th grade assessment for the identification of information sources. I used the assessment from TRAILS to measure learning.

If you aren't familiar with it -- definitely check out the TRAILS project.  They have set assessments aligned to the AASL standards for set grade levels on many different informational literacy skills. http://www.trails-9.org/

In the past I have also based student learning goals on: using correct citation for information, electronic encylopedia navigation and use, independently finding books based on research needs; developing PPT or Excell skills to name a few.

I would also love to hear from others on what they have done or are thinking of doing.

Hi Susan,

My district (Stratford) is also just starting with the SLOs. Our department has no guidelines to speak of for this.

I too was thinking along the same lines as you with citing information, electronic resources navigation and use, etc.

Would you be able to share some of these that you've done previously? We've been tasked to come up with at least one draft SLO today for our PD.

Thanks.

Hi Chris - sorry I didn't respond sooner. I too was in PD for a good chunk of the day and preparing my spaces for students arriving tomorrow morning.

Goals for previous years (other than ones I outlined above)

- 2nd grade students being able to navigate a search for a fiction title on the OPAC and locate it in the library.

- 4th grade being able to produce proper citation of primary and secondary sources.

- Susan

We are in our first year wtih this.   I looked at the TRAILS online assessment websites and am going to try that for one of my SLO's with some freshman classes.  I am looking for advise/suggestions/guidelines if others have done any yet for upper grades.  Thank you.

Very interested in working together on these SLO's. Learned some yesterday about what will be expected of us. Truly appreciate folks sharing what they have done in the past!

Hope we can discuss on Tuesday... I truly appreciate the discussion.

Some of the work I'm doing at ACES is to help all teachers understand SLOs and related IAGDs.  For SLOs, what one should keep in mind is that

• they are broad statements about student learning
  • Address the central purpose of a teacher's assignment
  • take into account baseline data
  • pertain to a large proportion of teacher's students
  • reflect content master or skill development
  • reflect attainable but ambitious goals for student learning

An example of an SLO (based on some of the examples in this discussion) could be:

"Students will write a book review ( I might indicate here what type of writing- is it informational, an argument about why this book is great, etc etc.  This aligns to the CCSS) and publish their writing to the class website."

The related IAGDs are like SMART goals (Specific and strategic, measurable, aligned and attainable, results-oriented, time-bound).  So this is where we'd see numbers etc.

"___% of my 4th grade students will write one (type of writing piece) by May 30th and increase their scores by _____ based on (type of assessment developed to measure the writing.)  

While the guidelines don't require more that one IAGD for an SLO (I know!  Alphabet soup!!) I would probably include one for the technology component for this goal.

These are just some of the examples I've been playing around with to use as examples in my work with the LMS.

Robin

I am finding the hardest part is the "measurable" piece, especially if you are making research a goal which is what I had thought about doing.  I am working on creating a research project teachign Big6 with the winter olympics but dont know how to make that measurable.  

Has anyone tried the elementary TRAILS?  

My other thought was to work with 2nd grade on nonfiction text elements.   I would create my own pre and post assessments and we would work on a foldable activity for our lessons and practice. 

Come to find out that my principal wants me to focus on reading engagement with a particular group of 4th graders (12 students).  The plan so far is to use the Reading Engagement piece of the DRA as one of the IAGDs.    I will let you know what the action plan is.      I will upload my official document for all to see when I get to that point.   

The Massachusetts School Library Association began collecting examples of SLOs last year and recently shared this information https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ava8iRPKsaubdHhGSUNFbFg...

Here is my SLO form...would be happy to share what I am doing with whoever would like it....or at the end of it call can upload all my documents to share with people who may want to edit as their own. 

Attachments:

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Latest Activity

Janice Pellegrino left a comment for Valerie Charbeneau
"Hello Valerie -Welcome to the CASL Ning.  Just an fyi that we will soon be moving this forum to our new website at http://ctcasl.org which is currently under construction.  Thank you!"
Aug 7
Valerie Charbeneau is now a member of CASL
Aug 7
Kate Candido left a comment for Christine Breen
"Hi Christine!  Welcome to the CASL Ning!  Please note that we will soon be moving this forum to our new website at http://ctcasl.org which is currently under construction.  Thank you!""
Jun 12
Christine Breen is now a member of CASL
Jun 12

© 2017   Created by Irene Kwidzinski.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service