Connecticut Association of School Librarians
Make plans to join your colleagues on Tuesday, March 16th at 8pm ET/7pm CT/6pm MT/5pm PT for a very special event, “A Chat with Sara Kelly Johns”. Sara is a candidate in the election for ALA President and she will speak to librarians about her platform and her vision for ALA. Just as voting opens, this will be your opportunity to inform yourself and share your priorities. Join us at http://slurl.com/secondlife/ALA%20Island/127/104/29 or IM Elaine Tulip for a teleport. Please forward this message to other appropriate listservs.
If you are new to Second Life, set up an account to join us:
1. Go to the Second Life website at https://join.secondlife.com/?lang=en-US several days in advance to set up your free basic account.
2. Verify that your computer and connectivity meets the systems requirements at http://secondlife.com/support/sysreqs.php.
3. Click on the orange “Get Started!” button. Go through the subsequent screens to create your avatar account.
4. Download and install the Second Life viewer software at http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php.
5. Open the software and log into Second Life using your avatar first name, last name, and password. Watch your avatar “be born”. Complete the orientation activities to learn about how to communicate, move, search, and edit your appearance.
6. When finished, search “Places” for locations such as ISTE or the American Library Association. Teleport to a favorite location, explore, and become acquainted with Second Life. (When searching, make sure the “search mature places” square is checked.)
7. Fifteen minutes prior to the scheduled meeting, log on and IM Elaine Tulip for a teleport to the meeting location or use provided SLURL.